Please note only the most current exhibit stays on display at the museum. While specific pieces of a past exhibit may be on display in the museum, the exhibit in its entirety is deconstructed to make place for the new main exhibit. Thepast exhibits remain on the website for information purposes only. If you have a question about a past dispay please contact us. Thank you
Warrensburgh Museum of Local History - 2014 Exhibits
Sunnbonnet Babies Quilt
Churches of Warrensburg
Dressed for the Holidays
by Over the Edge Quilters and Crocheters
February 5 - 24
The Churches of Warrensburg: March 2 – May 11
Photos courtesy of Steve Parisi
Church of the Holy Cross
"The history of the Church of the Holy Cross in Warrensburg begins with a vision: In 1798 a newly-ordained deacon, the Reverend Philander Chase (later Bishop of Ohio and then Illinois), told the Bishop of New York that he wanted to be a missionary, and Bishop Provoost sent him on a journey up the Hudson River in upstate New York. He recorded in his journal that he preached under a spreading tree in the town of Thurman (of which what is now Warrensburg was then a part) and that he established a preaching station thereto which he intended to return. No record remains of his first attempt to bring Anglicanism to this part of the world." quoted from the Church of Holy Cross Website
First Baptist Church
This was theright after lightning struck the steeple in 1917.
(It was replaced by a dome.) But it all burned in 1998 and was immediately replaced with a nice new building.
Christian churches played an important part in the lives of Warrensburg's early settlers and, indeed, continue to be an important part in the health and well-being of our community. The exhibit will occupy the "central area" in the museum, and will include photographs and artifacts, plus brief histories of each church organization. Existing Warrensburg churches have been invited to participate in providing content for this exhibit.
Visit the Church on Facebook
Christian & Missionary Alliance
This was built on River Street, next to Herrick's Store. They built a new building off Elm Street (Pine Tree La.) in 1973 and tore this old c, 1917 building down and that's now a parking lot
Kitchel Bishop arrived in Warrensburg in 1804 and became a founding member of the Presbyterian Church.
Community Safety: Fire, EMS and Police